Friday, April 9, 2010

Build Hope

This past week, I was rearranging my apartment as spring fever tickled my spirit and my sinuses. While sneezing away, I found two newly framed Hadassah certificates.

(Hadassah, the Jewish Women's Zionist Organization of America, is responsible for building two hospitals in Jerusalem that provide medical treatment equally to people of all religions.)

The gold and black certificate wrote BUILD TOMORROW TODAY in bold letters and was acknowledging a donation contributed in memory of my late father,Rabbi Benjamin Miller. The other certificate made in memory of my late mother, Jeanette Miller, had the word HOPE calligraphed in green with a pink background.

Both donations were gifted to me by a man who never met either of my parents. We were joined together by loss. After his beloved wife died of breast cancer, Mr. Raskin created "The Dorrie H. Raskin Breast Cancer Research Fund" in her memory. Now, all three souls are forever guiding me as I look up from my computer and see the words on my office wall.

Who are we without the hope of tomorrow and the foundation of today?

No comments: