Friday, June 14, 2013

Preach From Your Struggle

"Preach from your own struggle," said the Baptist minister whom I overheard talking to his colleague outside the School of Theology at Mercer University.

"The Exodus story may not be relevant to the American Indians, and we must recognize the differences in their struggle."

How often do we hear a wisdom note from a stranger as we are passing through the proverbial doorway?

My eleven-year-old granddaughter is taking creative writing during her summer break on the first floor of the School of Theology building.

I know the Exodus story. I am part of the history of that struggle through lineage. But what has been my personal struggle?

"Preach from your own struggle."

I will remember this message when I create my next teaching on the Exodus and beyond.

No comments: